Who do I make cheques payable to?

Cheques and/or money orders can be made to "Old Oak Properties Inc." .

Who can enter my apartment and why?

Under the Residential Tenancies Act, a landlord (or their authorized agent) is allowed to enter an apartment under specific circumstances, generally by providing 24 hours written notice, stating the reason for entering and when the apartment will be entered. There are exceptions, such as after a notice to vacate has been given, or in case of emergency.

When is the rent due?

As per the Tenancy Agreement, the rent is due on the first day of every month. We strongly encourage automatic pre-authorized payment which is very convenient.

What notice is required to vacate?

As per the Residential Tenancies Act, you must provide 60 days written notice to vacate prior to the end of your tenancy. The termination date must be the last day of the lease, or rental period if on a month-to-month lease. As an example, if notice is provided on November 5th for a monthly tenancy, the termination date will be January 31st. The notice to vacate should be delivered to your Assistant Property Manager who can verify when it was received.

What if I misplace my keys?

If your keys are misplaced, please call your Assistant Property Managers. Our authorized locksmith will be contacted to provide a new set at the resident's expense. Residents / outside contractors are not permitted to change locks.

What if I have a noisy neighbour?

Call your Assistant Property Manager and lodge a noise complaint. Your Assistant Property Manager will come to your apartment and verify the noise complaint. If the noise is deemed greater than regular household noise, the Assistant Property Manager will require a written or emailed complaint detailing the date, time and description of noise. We do require the proper documentation in place to effectively resolve the complaint on a long term basis. Your identification or location will not be disclosed to the offending party at any time.

What happens if the rent is not paid?

If the monthly rent is not paid when it is due, a "Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent" (Form N4) can be provided by the landlord. When this notice is provided, it advises the tenant(s) that they have 14 days to pay the overdue rent, or vacate the apartment. If the rent still has not been paid after this date, the landlord can apply to the Landlord & Tenant Board (LTB) for an order to require the tenant(s) pay the overdue rent, and/or end the tenancy early, if the entire payment is not made by a specified deadline.

Reminder notices and warning letters are not issued. If you receive a Form N4, we strongly recommend making the full payment several days before the date indicated on the Form N4, to avoid an LTB hearing and incurring hearing costs.

In the case of rent payments being frequently delayed or overdue, the landlord may provide a Form 8, or "Notice to Terminate a Tenancy at the End of Term". This notice gives the tenant(s) 60 days to vacate their apartment. The landlord can apply to the LTB for an order for an immediate eviction after the notice has been received.

What do I do in an emergency?

For fire pull the fire alarm, call 911 and exit the building.

For all other emergencies, call your Assistant Property Manager and leave your name, phone number and type of emergency. All messages left after hours are checked as soon as they come in. Emergency situations are unavoidable, however please restrict your calls to floods, leaks, defective smoke alarm, complete appliance breakdown (fridge / stove), no heat, building security, noise complaint or defective lock as only these calls will be responded to after hours.

What are the Assistant Property Manager’s hours of work?

Old Oak Assistant Property Managers' regular hours are Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. During the beginning and end of the months, Assistant Property Managers are available after hours for move-ins and move-outs. There is always an Assistant Property Manager on call to deal with emergencies.

What about pets?

Most of Old Oak buildings are Pet Friendly. For the safety and comfort of all residents, the main building entrances are not to be used to take pets out. Secondary entrances / exits are to be used and pets taken well away from the building to defecate. Pets are not permitted to defecate on gardens, plantings or balconies at any time. Pet owners are responsible to have their pets under control at all times while in common areas and to clean up after they defecate, as per the city by-law. Complaints concerning pets, abuse of animals, proper care, urinating/feces on balconies, etc., 519-685-1330.

What about parking?

To ensure fair and adequate parking is available for residents, guests and service persons, all resident vehicles must be registered with the Assistant Property Manager and must bear a valid Old Oak parking permit. In accordance with the Tenancy Agreement, the Landlord may re-allocate parking spaces as needed, especially to accommodate residents dealing with extenuating circumstances, issues or conditions. Residents are responsible for compliance of the policies by their guests.

Visitor Parking is for the use of visitors only; residents are not permitted to park in visitor parking areas.

Parking policies are strictly enforced by Building Management staff. Thank you for complying with the parking policies posted in your building.

How do I request repairs?

For non-emergency repairs needed throughout your tenancy, please complete an online maintenance request here. It is very convenient and you will be able to track the status of requested repairs. In the event you do not have access to a computer or mobile device, or for emergency repairs, please contact your Assistant Property Manager who will be pleased to assist you. You may also visit your Assistant Property Manager's office and complete a paper maintenance request. These requests can be found just outside the office door and slipped into the mail slot once completed.

How do I pay rent?

Old Oak has several convenient options available for you.

We offer pre-authorized payment using bank accounts only. Recurring or one time payments can also be made through the Resident Portal using your bank account information or credit card.

We do not accept cash payments.

How do I assign my lease ?

We understand that sometimes plans change and people are unable to fulfill their Tenancy Agreement/Lease. In most cases, tenants will be permitted to assign their lease. Certain situations where the account is not in good standing and/or the apartment is not maintained in good condition, may prevent approval from being granted.

To protect your interests, there is a formal process to complete. Please contact your Assistant Property Manager directly to obtain a request form. Once completed, kindly submit the form to your Assistant Property Manager for review. You will receive a written response shortly thereafter.

Do I require a co-signer?

We may require a co-signer (guarantor) for your lease to ensure that rental payments are able to be made. A typical example of a guarantor would be a parent or guardian. Old Oak will contact you after your application has been submitted and reviewed to advise if a guarantor is required.

Do I need tenant insurance ?

Yes, all tenants are required by the Tenancy Agreement to carry and maintain a tenant insurance policy. This requirement is as much for your personal protection as it is the Landlord's. Apartment keys are not able to be transferred until the required insurance certificate is provided/verified. As per the Tenancy Agreement, the tenant shall during the entire period of this tenancy and any renewal thereof, at his sole cost and expense, obtain and keep in full force and effect, fire and property damage and public liability insurance in the amount of two million dollars. Said coverage shall also include personal contents and housing/lodging costs in the event of loss of use of the leased premises. The Tenant agrees to provide to the Landlord, upon demand at any time, proof that all such insurance is in effect and to notify the Landlord in writing if such insurance is cancelled or otherwise terminate.

Can Old Oak staff do personal work or errands ?

No. Old Oak staff are not authorized to perform personal work for residents/customers. This includes errands, and personal services, even if performed outside of regular working hours.

Can I install an air-conditioner ?

Appliances that did not come standard with the apartment, require the landlord's approval and a possible fee prior to being installed. This includes all types of air-conditioning units. Please inquire with your Assitant Property Manager to determine if air conditioners are permitted at your building and to obtain a consent form, prior to any installation.

Don't Miss it - Inquire Now

Explore Our Apartments